Job Announcement : Lead Organizer
Mujeres Unidas y Activas (MUA) is a grassroots organization with 33 years of experience organizing Latina immigrant women. MUA has a dual mission of promoting personal transformation and building community power for social and economic justice. The organization offers its members mutual support workshops and peer counseling performed by certified counselors from their community. We offer worker rights workshops and counseling, and workforce development training. MUA also offers immigrant rights workshops, as well as referrals to legal resources and services. Our members participate in leadership development and political education programming. MUA engages its members in community organizing and political campaigns that allow immigrant women’s voices to be heard on important issues at the local, state and national levels. MUA is committed to building an organization that is led by its membership. Currently, 22 of 34 staff began as member leaders in MUA.
About the Lead Organizer
MUA is looking for a Lead Organizer to help us develop and implement campaigns in the areas of priority for MUA’s political work: Domestic Worker Rights, Immigrant Rights and Civic Engagement. She/he/they will work with other organizers to build our base and develop grassroot leaders among our membership of Latina immigrant women. She/he/they will coordinate and conduct outreach and community education efforts as well as leadership development and political education activities in the organization. She will carry out this work not only in collaboration with other MUA staff, but also with member leaders, whose engagement she will coordinate.
The Lead Organizer will also represent MUA in political advocacy. She/he/they will be key in developing and maintaining relationships with ally organizations and coalitions, as well as government agencies and public officials. She will contribute to MUA’s communications work and acts as a spokesperson.
To be successful in this position, the ideal candidate should be a developed and strategic leader, with experience working in grassroots organizations and conducting advocacy.
She/he/they should be committed to developing and uplifting the leadership of Latina immigrant women and to building our collective power. She/He/They will work closely with other organizers and will report to the Leadership Development Director.
- Coordinate political actions in collaboration with MUA allies, staff members and member leaders.
- Participate in key meetings and represent MUA in coalitions focused on issues related to immigrant rights, civic engagement and electoral work
- Conduct political education for our membership by creating and facilitating workshops and presentations on various topics in different member learning spaces
- Mobilize our members and motivate their participation in political campaigns, actions and advocacy
- Organize and conduct member leadership development trainings
- Lead, and coordinate a member committee focused on developing their leadership through their experiences with immigration cases
- Support base building efforts by doing outreach, making follow-up calls, developing strategic relationships with new members, and making internal and external referrals
- Coordinate MUA’s efforts in community education on Immigrant Rights in the East Bay, by giving workshops on Know Your Rights, among others.
- Do outreach and recruitment through this community education work
- Create high quality information materials on Immigrant Rights and keep them up to date.
- Support strategies to create and publish MUA messages regarding social and political events, and prepare communication with the press and media
- Support in maintaining a presence on social media about MUA activities and campaigns on Immigrant Rights
- Ensure good and accurate documentation of activities and in collaboration with the fundraising team, complete the necessary reports
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Strong commitment to the immigrant rights movement and racial, economic, social and gender justice, and to the empowerment of immigrant women
- Bilingual Spanish-English, with advanced oral and written communication skills in both languages, and ability to do translation and interpretation
- 3+ years of experience in the field of organizing in community-based organizations, including experience with popular education, base building, leadership development strategies, and leading political campaigns
- Advanced experience in project and time management
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including communicating across different cultural perspectives, life experiences, and professional backgrounds
- Ability to navigate individual and team conflicts productively, with empathy and integrity
- High ability to work collaboratively in a team and maintain excellent communication through different communication channels
- Advanced technical experience: knowledge on Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, Social Media platforms, and communication platforms such as WhatsApp and Zoom
Hours: Non-exempt full-time position at 40 hours a week.
Salary: $54k-58k depending on experience.
Benefits: Excellent benefits include: medical and dental insurance, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, contributions to an FSA account for transportation as well as medical expenses, 401k plan, generous paid time off, and sabbatical leave.The workplace culture provides flexibility for self-care and for family/community commitments.
Location: Oakland and South Alameda County
Application Process: Send resume, cover letter in English and Spanish, and three references to
Malena Mayorga at: email@example.com by May 20, 2022. Please write “Job Application: Lead Organizer” on the subject line. This position is open until filled.
Mujeres Unidas y Activas is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, immigrants, Youth, LGBTQ individuals, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply!